Note that since this article was published, immigration guidance has changed. See our post UK NARIC’s Visas and Nationality Service launches on 6 April for more up-to-date information. Also, as of 6 April 2017, UK NARIC statements can be used to evidence English levels A1, A2, B1, and B2, in addition to C1.

UK NARIC has been receiving a lot of enquiries recently about UK Visas and British citizenship.

We cannot advise on exact requirements for visa and citizenship applications – and you cannot apply for a Visa through UK NARIC – but our services can help you with your application.

Our Statement of Comparability can help you evidence the level of your international qualifications.*

Our English Language Assessment can help you evidence your level of English.*

If you have a qualification comparable to British Bachelor level that has been taught in English then UK NARIC can check and verify that you have level C1 English in the Common European Framework.*

We may also be able to check and verify for lower levels of English if you do not need level C1.*

Check the UK Home office web pages on visas and immigration for full information on UK Visas and citizenship.*

*Please check the Home Office website to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information.

75 Comments on “UK NARIC Statements of Comparability and English Language Assessment can help with UK Visa and British citizenship applications”

1. jesus says:

Hi! I am applying for my tier 2 visa (general), what services do i need to take from UK NARIC? Is English language assessment enough or i need to apply for Statement for comparability?

Hi Jesus,

Thanks for your comment, unfortunately we are not in a position to advise you on the requirements for a VISA and you should check the Home office website listed in the article above for further details, on the evidence required. You should then be in a position to decide which of our services maybe most appropriate to meet your needs.

Best wishes

2. Pamela Gonzalez says:

Hi, I want to apply for the service of Statement of Comparability, my certificate and final transcript are in Spanish, I’m from Argentina, and I have a certified translation of both documents, Do I need also add an Apostille certificate in my certificate and final transcript?

Hi Pamela,

We don’t require an apostille certificate for your translations providing they are certified translations and the rest of your application is in order we will be able to proceed with the comparison of your awards.

Kind regards

3. Viraj says:

I am graduated in Medicine from Russia and my qualification is MD Physician (Doctor) from WHO recognised institute. My all qualification documents are certified and APOSTILLED (Convention de la Haye du 5 Octobre 1961) by the Deputy Head of the Federal Service of Supervision in Education and Science of Russia (No 99705). Do I still need NARIC Statement of comparability to apply for UK settlement?? Moreover, I have also got the letter from my uni that all course was taught in English. I searched online and it says 69 countries are members of Hague convention (including Russia and UK) and all accept and recognise a document with an Apostille.
    Will I still need the statement of comparibility from Naric?
    I would really appreciate if you can reply asap.
    Thank you.

Hi Anny,

Thanks for getting in touch, please visit the UK Home office web pages on visas and immigration (www.gov.uk) for details on the necessary requirements. As outlined in the article above a “Statement of Comparability” of can assist in demonstrating the academic level of your award and an “English Language Assessment” can assist in demonstrating that your qualification has been taught to a C1 level of English in the CEFR framework where appropriate. Although UK NARIC services can assist where required UK NARIC is not directly involved with this process and are unable to advise on visa and immigration requirements.

Kind regards

4. Anny Coquis says:

Hello! I’m an English teacher and my degree was taught in English, French and Spanish, do I still need to take a test to demonstrate my English language proficiency? And, do I need to have an apostille certificate for all of my documents?

Thanks in advance

Hi Anny,

Thanks for getting in touch, please visit the UK Home office web pages on visas and immigration (www.gov.uk) for details on the necessary English language requirements. Although UK NARIC services can assist where required, we are not directly involved with this process and are unable to advise on these requirements.

Kind regards

5. Pukar Thapa says:

Hi, I am in uk as a student and i want to switch T2. I have a UK NARIC verified Bachelor’s Honours Degree. Shall i use this degree as Home Office need UK Bachelor’s Degree to switch T2. And i also have IELTS.

Hi Pukar,

Thanks for your message but although our services can be used for these purposes, we are not directly involved with the visa application process, so are unable to advise. Please check the requirements on the UKVI website at http://www.gov.uk

6. Hemanth says:

Hi, Does English Languague Assessment also imply that the degree is comparable to that of UK degree though it does not implicitly mentioned in the letter.

Hi Hemanth,

In order for the English language assessment to be completed, as part of the minimum requirements for this service it must be equal in academic level to a British Bachelors degree otherwise this service cannot be offered. So although not explicitly stated it can be inferred. A Statement of Comparabiluty can be used where a formal written document is required which can include a comparison of all overseas awards from school level upwards.

7. Manali says:

I need to apply for a spouse visa, Is a certificate from UK NARIC stating that my English language meets CEFR C1 enough or do I still need to give the test?

Hi Manali

Thanks for your message although we offer services that may assist you with visa we are not directly involved in this process and are unable to comment on requirements. Please see the Home Office website (www.gov.uk) for more details.

Our blog offers some advice on how our services have been used for this purposes which can be seen here: http://bit.ly/1BQLIHP

8. Rajni says:

Hi
    I am going to apply dependent visa, can you please guide me which service of uk naric I need, will it be statement of comparability or English language assessment, my degree is from india.
    Thanks

Hi,
      This is a question that will need to be confirmed by the Home Office directly as they are the decision makers in the process. We can explain what are services can do but we are unable to comment specifically on your visa requirements.

9. A.K. says:

Hi
    I have recently applied for English Language Assessment and Statement of Comparability over my one-year MSc degree from Sweden and three-year PhD degree from Spain. Both qualifications were taught and researched in English that I enclosed the official letter from both qualifications to confirm my claim.
    If the NARIC confirms my either one-year MSc degree or three-year PhD degree (or with together) that are equal to CEFR C1 level, UKVI Tier 2 General Visa application will go ahead successfully? I mean, there is no need for at least Bachelor degree confirmation? MSc or PhD English level C1 confirmation is enough for Visa Tier 2?

10. Max says:

HI,

I have applied for English Language Assessment with provisional degree as my original degree will be issued in Aug-Sept this year. I have also provided full transcript as the evidence that my course is finished ,results are out and i passed all my modules including project work.

Now my questions are –
    this provisional degree will have any impact on your certification?
    English certificate could be challenged ?

kind regards
    Max

Hi Max,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We may be able to provide a comparison based solely on the provisional certificate; please submit the documents you do have for consideration by a regional specialist who will advise further.

Please note if we are able to proceed, we would include an additional sentence referencing that we have not seen a copy of the final certificate. This does not affect the outcome of our assessment, however we are unable to advise how other organisations may view this.

Kind regards,

11. Daiva says:

HI,
    I’m a nurse from Lithuania. I have translated my diploma into english with translator confirmation. Do I need an apostille for getting Statement of Comparability?

12. Fahim says:

Hi

I need to apply for spouse visa and my wife got a bachelors degree (4 years BS degree) from Bahria university Islamabad Pakistan that was taught in English. I have checked Points based calculator but strangely when I enter details of her degree and university it doesn’t show any points for English. Bahria university is highly recognised university in Pakistan.

Please can you confirm whether UK NARIC will be able to verify her degree as UK equivalent using different sources? I need English assessment certificate confirming her Bachelors degree is UK equivalent and taught in English. I will apply for UK NARIC certificate soon after your reply.

Best regards

Dear Fahim,

Thank you for your message. We cannot provide results of an individual assessment via social media. However, you can speak to one of our advisers on 08713307033 who can provide you with further advice for your award. Our lines are open Monday to Friday 9-5

Kind regards,

13. navin waghmare says:

Hi,

I am in a process of applying for Settlement(ILR) in the month of May-2016 and as per the information that the self-assessment UKVI Points-Based Calculator web pages are going to go away from 05-Apr-2016.

1. Is it mandatory to get the official UK NARIC statements or the existing degree certificates and transcript should work ?
    As i have already proved my English proficiency in the initial tier-1 application.

2. If it is mandatory to get the official UK NARIC statements, then which certificates are required as i can see two options
    a) Statement of Comparability.
    b) English Language Assessment.
    which one should i be applying ?

Could you please let us know, as i do have original following document from the University from Pune/India.
    1. Degree certificates
    2. English language certificate
    3. Degree Transcript
    4. Degree Marksheet.

Also if you could advice, if this will same for dependent.

Your advice would be really appreciated on the same.

thanks
    Navin

14. Anu says:

Hi,

I just wanted to know if the ELA will only state the C1 level of English or will it state the appropriate level of english ?

Thanks
    Anu

Dear Anu,

In regards to the UK NARIC service you require, this is dependant on the information you need us to provide. The Statement of Comparability service provides a statement confirming the academic level of your qualification in the UK’s qualifications framework (such as Bachelor’s, Master’s). It does not comment on the medium of instruction. UK NARIC’s English Language Assessment provides an assessment and a statement to confirm that an international academic qualification deemed comparable to a UK Bachelor, Master’s or (in exceptional circumstances) PhD degree is taught in English to the standard of CEFR B1, B2 or C1. Please note, for a separate written assessment confirming the comparable UK level of your academic qualification, you would also need to apply for the UK NARIC Statement of Comparability.

Kind regards

15. Chandni says:

Hello,

I shall be applying for a Tier 2 (General) visa soon, from India. I have a Masters Degree from a UK university (2015). I wanted to know whether I still require an English language assessment, and if the NARIC provides the same for UK universities.
    I have been through the UKVI website, and it mentions that the Degree must be ‘comparable’ to a bachelor’s or Master’s from the UK. So I am assuming that having a Masters from the UK would not need a separate certification.

Regards,

Chandni

Hi Chandni,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We are unable to advise on specific visa requirements and recommend you check with UKVI/ the Home Office directly. The role of UK NARIC, however, is to comment on overseas qualifications only. We do not comment on UK qualifications or provide English Language Assessments/ Visa and Nationality Statements for these.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

16. John says:

Hi,
    I am going to apply for tier 2 (general) visa.
    I wonder if instead of one “Visa and Nationality Statement” it would be possible for me to apply for a separate “statement of comparability” plus an “English Language Assessment”?

I am a bit short of time; that’s why I would like to to choose the fist option which has a fast-track possibility.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi,

The Visas and Nationality statement is the new designated service supporting individuals applying for UK visas or for settlement in the UK, provided by UK NARIC on behalf of the Home Office. As we understand, the Home Office will accept existing Statements of Comparability and English Language Assessments to support applications for immigration to the UK for a transition period.  The length of this transition period has not yet been confirmed.

We suggest that you contact the Home Office directly to confirm this issue.

I hope this is of assistance.

17. Jalpesh says:

Hi,

I am going to apply for Tier-2 visa from India. I submitted application for “Visa and Nationality” service on UK NARIC.

The assessment had been completed and dispatched on 11th August 2016. But, Still I have not received my assessment or UK NARIC certification.

I opted for Standard Airmail postage service.

I’m waiting for UK NARIC certificate only. Other all documents are ready for visa application.

Could you please guide me what should I do further to get it?

It’s very urgent.

Hoping for the quick response.

Thanks.
    Good day!!

Hi,

Thank you for your comment. Royal Mail quote an estimated delivery time for standard airmail of 3 to 5 working days for European destinations and 7 to 10 working days for the rest of the world; this does not allow for possible delays at borders and/or custom controls. Replacement copies of your statement can be requested via the user portal.

• Gaurav says:

Dear Jalpesh, I am applying for tier 2 (General VISA). I have my PhD degree which was taught in english and my University has also stated and given me the certificate confirming my degree was taught in english. Do we still need to get it confirmed from NARIC certification for VISA application?

• Jalpesh says:

Dear Gaurav,

Yes, you have to get the assessment done from UK NARIC, service “Visa and Nationality statements” in order to confirm that your degree is equivalent to UK degree and your English language proficiency statement.
        You have to submit your original statements along with your visa application form which you will receive from UK NARIC.

• Gaurav says:

Dear Jalpesh,
        Thank you for your reply. I have one more doubt. During filling up the VISA application the category in which I am appealing for English proficiency was my PhD degree. Infact the postdoctoral job I have got was on the basis of PhD only.

I am curious to know whether the certification from NARIC on my PhD degree would be enough or I would have to send all the degrees from B.Sc and M.Sc?

I would appreciate if you could give me detail at gauravverma@jnu.ac.in

Kindly provide me your contact no as well, if in case I would have any doubt I will contact you.

• Navin Waghmare says:

Hi Jalpesh.
      Just try and get in touch with main post office and post man also. As it does take time to reach from delhi office.
      Royal mail post are delivered in a day or two to delhi office but further it does take time..

hope it reaches you soon.
      Navin

• Jalpesh says:

Hi Navin,

Thanks for writing me.

I am very glad to inform you that finally I received my “visa and nationality statements” yesterday.

Thanks.

18. Jaanu says:

Hi,

I already applied for the english language assessment for settlement visa, is there a way of fast tracking the service, as i did not come across the fast track option when making the application. and I need the results urgently.

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for your comment. Fast Track options are available for an English Language Assessment; the option can be found in the ‘Update/ Amend your application’ section of the User Portal. Alternatively, please send a message through the secure messaging function of the User Portal and an adviser can assist with your specific application further.

19. Abbas says:

Hi,

I am UK Citizen and want to apply for spouse VISA. My wife completed her BA & MSc in Pakistan. As per the Home Office requirements we need proof of her qualification being Bachelors equivalent and taught in English. I have her degree certificates/transcripts, medium of instruction letter etc. which I shall upload to my application. My question is which UK NARIC service shall i apply for? Statement of Comparability, English Language or both?

I want to ensure I am requesting the correct service. The website is confusing as it doesn’t explicitly state which service i should request for Spouse Visa.

• UK NARIC says:

Hi, we are unable to advise which service(s) may be required for a specific visa, and recommend you check with the Home Office/ UKVI directly for advice. Further details on the visa requirements can be found here.

Should you need UK NARIC to comment on the medium of instruction of the degree, only the English Language Assessment will do this. Should you need UK NARIC to comment specifically that the degree is comparable to a UK degree, only the Statement of Comparability will do this. The new VisasAndNationality service replaces the Home Office UKVI Points-Based Calculator web pages. This is the new designated service supporting individuals applying for UK visas or for settlement in the UK, provided by UK NARIC on behalf of the Home Office.

For information on the service and how to apply, please visit the following page:

Once again, we recommend that you check  with the Home Office UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) if you need a statement from UK NARIC for your particular immigration application and your particular situation (and if any additional paperwork or evidence is necessary). UKVI (and not UK NARIC) has the final word on all these matters.

20. mikhaildubov says:

Hi,

I have recently started my application for the Visa and Nationalities service. How can I apply for the Waiver Translation service mentioned on the home page? The “Qualification” page in “My Application” says I should attach certified translations of my documents; however, I don’t understand how to apply for these certified translations through the website.

Best,
    Mikhail

Dear Mikhail,

Thank you for your comment. The Translation Waiver Service is only available under our ‘blue route’ and for the standard Statement of Comparability service. The Visa and Nationality statement which is under our ‘red route’ unfortunately does not have the Translation Waiver Service and therefore you will be required to present certified English translations of your documentation.

Kind regards,

21. Hi
    I have done bachelor of education from India .
    I have done this degree from chhatrapati shahuji maharaj university Kanpur,utter pradesh.my mediam is hindi. But I have done IELTS B1 level.
    Currently I am in London with my husband.
    So I want to know ,can I work in my field or which course is suitable for me.

22. sajeesh3 says:

Hi

I have a bachelors (B.Sc) and Masters (MCA) from India and I am applying for Type 2 general visa (skilled worker) for which I need the Statement of Comparability and English Language Assessment from NARIC.

Should I use the blue route or the red route from the NARIC Portal?
    Should I need to send the certificate and transcripts of both the degrees or only the Master degree should suffice?

• UK NARIC says:

Thank you for your query.

We suggest that you contact the Home Office directly to confirm this issue.

You are welcome to submit as many qualifications as you wish at no additional fee.

I hope this is of assistance.

• Gaurav says:

Dear Sajeesh follow the blue route to upload your documents. That is a good question. NARIC recommends as much details as you can and there is no restriction on uploading the documents they charge the same. If you could upload all the documents of B.Sc and MCA would be more than enough else the qualifying degree (Which I believe is your MCA) would be suffice.

Gaurav

23. Aditya says:

Hi,

I looked at the sample Visa and Nationality service – English language Proficiency Statement.
    it says the level of English meets requirements for CEFR C1.

The UK immigration website says B1 level is accepted.
    If my degree is not C1 Level, will the appropriate CEFR level be mentioned on the report?

Any help will be appreciated.

-Aditya

Hi Aditya,

The Visas and Nationality Statements will give a level of English proficiency on the CEFR Scale.

You’re right in that, if the English level of your award does not meet C1 then the relevant CEFR level will be given in the statement instead.

I hope this is of assistance.

24. ayesha says:

How are u.k naric visa and nationality documents different from the English language assessment and statement of comparability separately?

Hi Ayesha,

Thank you for your comment.

However, if you have an English Language Assessment and Statement of Comparability already from UK NARIC you can also present these. The English Language Assessment and the Statement of Comparability presented together provide the same information as the Visas and Nationality service.

It is to our understanding there will be a grace period where the Home office will still be accepting these assessments, however you may wish to contact the Home Office directly for further clarity.

Hope this information is of assistance.

Kind Regards,

25. siman says:

hi ,
    I obtained my Computer application degree from Bangalore University India , i now live in UK and i need to obtain UK NARIC English assessment certificate for Naturalization . My degree was thought in English and i have proved this in my settlement using point based calculator lats year and before for different stages at Tier 1 General visa .

Now i want to obtain a letter from NARIC with regards to degree medium is English,
    I have my original degree certificate along with semester certificates (6 semesters ). I do not have medium of instruction letter from University and getting one from India is almost impossible while living here . Can UK NARIC asses my case based on my certificate and other info i can provide . Surely your database should have the proof that particular named degree in Bangalore university was thought in English (as it was in point based calculator ) . Can you please help me on this so i can apply .

Hi Siman,

Thank you for your comment.

We recommend that you check with the Home Office UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) if you need a statement from UK NARIC for your particular immigration application and your particular situation (and if any additional paperwork or evidence is necessary). UKVI (and not UK NARIC) has the final word on all these matters.
      To meet the requirements for UK NARIC to be able to provide this service you must hold a degree of Bachelors, Masters or Phd level from an overseas institution that was solely taught in the medium of English.

The Visas and Nationality Service costs £125 + VAT (£150) and is a 10 Working Day turnaround. Please visit our website and Take the Red Route for Visas and Nationality to read further about the Service that we provide. These statements confirm your academic qualification level and/or English language proficiency – as appropriate for your personal circumstances and immigration route.

I hope this information is of assistance to you. If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

26. Gerry says:

Hi! I want to apply for Statement of Comparability. I am a nurse back in my country and I have a Bachelors Degree in Nursing that is taught in English. I also have an English Exam Certificate of GRADE 5 ENTRY LEVEL CERTIFICATE IN ESOL INTERNATIONAL (SPEAKING AND LISTENING) ENTRY 3 CEFR LEVEL B1.1. Is this English Certificate sufficient or do I need to take a different one. If so, what English test can I take? Many thanks.

27. Shasena says:

Hi i have completed my Masters degree in UK. do i still have to apply for UK NARIC English assessment certificate.
    this is as a part of my visa application

• UK NARIC says:

Thank you for your comment.

It is our understanding that you can present your Master degree that was awarded in the UK directly to the Home Office for consideration.

As an organisation we would be unable to comment on a UK qualification in regards to English proficiency.

Kind regards

28. Julia says:

Hi,
    I am completing my PhD in sciences in Israel, and starting my post-doctoral training in the UK.
    I do not have my PhD certificate yet, but I would like to get a statement of comparability for the visa application.
    Can I send my Msc certificate and transcripts from my Msc and PhD together with a medium instruction letter that says “will be awarded a PhD degree”?

Dear Julia,

Thank you for your comment.

The Visas and Nationality service via our ‘red route’ is the recommended route for all visa purposes as this is the designated service supporting individuals applying for UK visas or for settlement in the UK, provided by UK NARIC on behalf of the Home Office. Based on your immigration tier and route we can provide you with a document that will confirm the comparability of your award and if applicable the English proficiency. In order to complete this service we require a final certificate, academic transcript and a medium of instruction letter from the awarding institution that confirms the degree course has been taught solely in English. Please note that we can only assess qualifications that have been completed. If you are still studying for your PhD at the time of the application, we would not be able to assess this as the qualification is incomplete.

If you would like to use our services you can call us on (0044) (0)871 330 7033, Monday to Friday (between 9:00am and 5:00pm), to speak to an Information Adviser and they will be happy to discuss this with you further. Detailed information on our services and the various steps to take can also be found here:

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

29. Syed says:

Hi
    I have a bachelors (B.Sc) done full time and Masters (MCA) done part time from India and I am applying for Type 2 general visa for which I need the Statement of Comparability and English Language Assessment from NARIC.
    Should I use the blue route or the red route from the NARIC Portal?
    Should I need to send the certificate and transcripts of both the degrees or only the Master degree done in part time should suffice?

Hi Syed,

Thanks for the comment.

Unfortunately we are unable to comment on your application on our social media accounts. You may wish to contact us on (0044) (0)871 330 7033, Monday to Friday (between 9:00am and 5:00pm), to speak to an Information Adviser and they will be happy to discuss this with you further. Alternatively, you also have the option of sending us a message via the secure messaging facility within the online application.

Hope this helps,

• vishal says:

Hi Syed,

If possible please ping me on vishalphand@yahoo.co.in , I have same issue .

30. Julia says:

Hi,
    I am applying for an English language assessment.
    In the UK NARIC website I am required to state the country where the degree was obtained, in my case this is Israel, however in the language field the system only has Arabic while in my case it should be Hebrew.
    What should I do?

Hi Julia,

Thank you for your comment.

Unfortunately we are unable to comment on your application on our social media accounts. You may wish to contact us on (0044) (0)871 330 7033, Monday to Friday (between 9:00am and 5:00pm), to speak to an Information Adviser and they will be happy to discuss this with you further. Alternatively, you also have the option of sending us a message via the secure messaging facility within the online application and one of our Information Advisers would be able to respond to you.

Kind regards,

31. vishal says:

Hello,

What is the difference between “Visa and Nationality Certificate” and “statement of comparability” + “English Language Assessment”?

If i submit “statement of comparability” + “English Language Assessment” for visa application instead of “Visa and Nationality Certificate” is it acceptable by home office?

Please let me know

Dear Vishal,

Thank you for your message.

Please be advised UK NARIC Visas and Nationality is the new designated service supporting individuals applying for UK visas or for settlement in the UK, provided on behalf of the Home Office, United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

This new online application system has been specifically developed and will provide official UK NARIC Visas and Nationality statements, custom-designed for immigration purposes.

The new security-enhanced statements present clearly all the key information regarding your qualification(s)(about your qualifications, country of study etc) required by UKVI immigration case workers.

Whilst we would recommend the Visa and Nationality red route, you are still able to use the blue work and study route and order the English Language Assessment.

I hope this information is of assistance to you.

Kind regards,

32. Sukhi says:

Hi Naric Team

I have also same question as above post, need some clarification on the below

Please let me know

Dear Sukhi,

Thank you for your message.

I hope this information is of assistance to you.

Kind regards,